Gateway Dental provides specialised cosmetic dentistry in Durban.
Cosmetic dentistry focuses on the cosmetic aspect of dental treatments. In other words, cosmetic dental treatments are geared at improving your smile rather than addressing major damage or dental health concerns. From veneers to crowns; teeth whitening to filling replacement and dental implants, these treatments help to restore confidence, brighten smiles and fix a variety of cosmetic problems.
What treatments are typically included in cosmetic dentistry, and what should you consider when choosing the right cosmetic dentist? Keep reading to find out.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
First things first, let’s take a closer look at what this type of dental speciality is all about. Cosmetic treatments help to restore, correct and improve the overall condition of teeth. While these treatments are not always urgent in the strictest sense, they can be life-changing for those who constantly hide their smiles because they are worried about how their teeth may appear. Some people are blessed with a perfect set of teeth from the very beginning, but many have had to contend with wonky teeth, dull teeth, gaps, ancient metal fillings, broken teeth and uneven teeth. The following treatments fall under cosmetic dental work:
- Veneers. Usually made of highly durable, strong porcelain, veneers create a fine coating that is moulded onto existing teeth using premium bonding material. They are available in a selection of natural looking colours, and, as they are moulded on your existing teeth, they have a flawless appearance.
- Teeth Whitening. If your teeth are generally in good condition but have lost their sparkle over the years, teeth whitening can do wonders. This procedure is quick and simple, using high quality bleaching products for a long lasting effect. Smokers and coffee drinkers may need to schedule whitening every now and then to maintain the look.
- Crowns. Also known as caps, crowns are often made of porcelain and can also be chosen in a range of natural tooth colours. Crowns are moulded to fit onto the tooth to make up for missing or broken teeth. They can be fitted with the use of a bonding material for long-term durability. Once fitted, they look and feel exactly like any other tooth.
- Dental Implants. Dental implants are fitted into the skull. This can be a more extensive procedure, but the effects can help to correct missing or replace teeth. The fittings are made of high grade titanium that eventually fuses into the bone. Implants are fitted under a local anaesthetic and once implanted; patients typically return to normal activities right away.
- Inlays & Onlays. Inlays and onlays are porcelain fillings that can replace old metal fillings or larger cavities. While these are also used in non-cosmetic treatments, they are a good choice for anyone who wants to replace old fillings with a more naturally looking option. They are typically used when there is not sufficient tooth structure for a full filling, but a crown is not required.
At Gateway Dental, we offer a range of cosmetic dentistry treatments in Durban.